Workout Safely in the Heat
The heatwave in NYC snapped last week, but it's still pretty hot outside and it won't be cooler for a while. No matter where you live though, summer is here, with all its heat and humidity. And if you, like me, enjoy exercising in the great outdoors during the summer months, it requires a little extra precaution - nothing major, just a few tweaks here and there to keep you exercising, with the heat, safely. Whether you're a runner, biker, rollerblader or just out for a stroll, here are some tips to get you through the heat.
- Watch the Clock - MakeOverMomma suggests that you workout when it's cool. If you exercise outside when the sun is blazing, try working out during the coolest, most beautiful parts of the day instead, like sunrise or sunset.
- Wear sunscreen - This may sound simple, but it sure helps and can prevent skin cancer.
- Workout in water - If you have access to a pool, swimming is a great workout and you'll stay cool. Many community pools have open swim times. Call your local city hall to find out the locations and hours in your area.
- Drink water - and lots of it! It's important to drink water before you feel thirsty.
- Stay in - If it's just too hot, stay inside. Do a simple abs routine or grab a yoga video and get going.
Working out out in the sun and heat can be fun, just make sure you take care of yourself.