Time to stop Electing Idiot Politicians
This article belongs to Australia - Land of the Free? column.
When we vote for someone to represent us in Parliament, what are we saying to that person?
Okay, I've listened to your policies and heard how you are as a person; I am going to give you my vote. For that vote I expect:
- You to ensure that conditions prevail that will allow me to prosper as a person,
- Your electorate to be your prime concern as you represent our interests to decision-makers,
- That our state is considered in every representation you make,
- Our country is also to be uppermost in every thing you do,
- The environment to be protected at all costs and you vigorously pursue a solution to Global Warming,
- Our prosperity to be considered and where possible to be increased and maintained,
- Where a conflict occurs between any of the points that you do nothing to adversely affect the environment,
- That party politics not interfere with any of the above,
- Being re-elected to not be your primary motivation,
- You not support taking our country to war unless absolutely necessary,
- To gain monetary advantage with a powerful country to not be considered a sufficient reason to take us to war,
- My desires and wants to be considered equal with anyone being they rich or poor, business or pensioner,
- You do not have an agenda to suit one religion over another,
- You support any measure that will motivate good people to enter parliament whether they be in your party or not,
- I will tolerate minor indiscretions, but would expect your personal behaviour to be beyond reproach.
Global Warming will need visionaries to stop the procrastinating that we see with leaders today. They point out the dilemma is if we are to solve the problem we will have to wreck worldwide economies and throw everyone into a terrible recession. If we did that we would never be re-elected.
They see the problem as either we continue polluting the Earth and transfer the problem to our children to solve, wait for science to find a way to cut pollution while continuing with our lifestyle, or carry out policies that would see them thrown out of office, with those that replace them to continue polluting to remain in government.
That is the drivel we are being fed in political statements in the media as if the only solution is to wreck our life-style, as we know it. In Australia, the Rudd Government has just announced a carbon-trading scheme. Although the Government has been honest and stated it is going to cost us more I haven't heard one statement against it.
That counters the argument that we electors are too dumb or too self-centred to accept extra costs as necessary to tackle Global Warming. No the answer is to encourage alternatives to polluting industries, while also tackling the problem of convincing politicians to co-operate for the greater good to find an answer to a problem that is seated in decisions made over a hundred years during the Industrial revolution.
more in Politics
HAS AMERICA GROWN BEYOND RACISM? CAN WE COME TOGETHER TO FIGHT THE MONSTER OF CORRUPTION? OUTSIDERS REALLY WANT TO KNOW.
Not everyone in a democracy is free. Some are saddled with the lack of being able to live in comfort because of their poverty. It is those with the access to money that are not only free but able dominate others because of the power access to capital brings them.
Corruption in journalism often makes news in Indian media. The creator of news also emerges as a matter of reporting in many parts of the country. The alienated Northeast too never ignored the trend. In fact, soon after the arrest of an Assamese scribe for his involvement in a bribery case with a seasoned politician, the issue comes to the center stage of Assam media.
In a major exercise, Israel has tested its capability to attack Iran. US-supplied F16, F15, EC2 Hawkeye and 707 converted tanker aircraft practiced attack strategies over the Mediterranean towards Greek airspace diverting back towards Israel just miles off Greek territory.
With the Beijing Olympics now only weeks away, time has come to analyse the processes through which Beijing gained the bid in the first place and what progress has been made in terms of human rights in China, improvement of which was part of Chinese bid to host the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.