A British couple almost had their house burnt down by their pet tortoise

thecheers.org    2008-03-09 05:37:20    

Emma Fox, 30, and 45-year-old Paul Butler returned to find their Berkshire property up in flames after leaving 70-year-old reptile Fred in a tank full of straw underneath a heat lamp.
Emma Fox, 30, and 45-year-old Paul Butler returned to find their Berkshire property up in flames after leaving 70-year-old reptile Fred in a tank full of straw underneath a heat lamp.

The couple had brought Fred inside when she came out of hibernation early, and placed her under the light for warmth.

But Fred piled her straw up until it caught alight under the lamp, spreading flames throughout the house causing much smoke damage and destroying all the downstairs furniture and front door.

Emma said: "We were shopping when we got a call from the fire brigade saying our tortoise had set the house on fire. Our neighbour heard the smoke alarm go off and called them."


TAGS: Weird-news   


more
Cheeseburger rage

An Austrian doctor was left furious when a lorry driver threw a cheeseburger at him for driving too slowly.

A Russian woman survived a 100ft plunge without getting hurt

Ludmilla Adamova, 27, fell from the ninth floor of a block of flats in Kemerovo but a clothes line broke her fall.

Running sheep
25.Mar 2008
German police were left stunned after a sheep outran their patrol cars and beat...read

No room in the coffin
25.Mar 2008
A Romanian man was left furious when the coffin he'd bought couldn't fit his de...read

Erotic funeral
25.Mar 2008
A Taiwanese man splashed out over 80 on an erotic dancer to perform at his 103...read



An Australian woman saved her pet kitten by punching a python

Police crash

Character-building drinking

An Italian Mafia boss has escaped jail because he is too fat

Granny grenade