Sydney, Dec.4 : New Zealand cricket great Sir Richard Hadlee said he was bemused at not making the invite list for the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy one-day series to be played in Australia this month.
According to a report in the Sydney Morning Herald, Cricket Australia has snubbed Hadlee for a tournament named in his honour.
The three-match opens in Adelaide next Friday.
The Chappell-Hadlee series was launched two years ago at the Telstra Dome in Melbourne with Hadlee and Ian Chappell the faces of the annual trans-Tasman one-day competition.
Hadlee said he was surprised no invite had been issued to either him or his brother, Dayle, who also represented New Zealand.
Ironically, Hadlee will be in Adelaide in the early part of next week on unrelated business. He has now made plans to attend a New Zealand Cricket Players' Association charity event in Invercargill on the same day as the opening match in Adelaide.
New Zealand is the holders of the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy after a shock 3-0 whitewash on home soil last summer.
Cricket Australia CEO James Sutherland was unavailable for comment last night but his New Zealand counterpart, Justin Vaughan, blamed the oversight on the Chappell-Hadlee series still not being fully established.
"I don't think this is a deliberate snub, but it is something both us and Cricket Australia have to address," Vaughan said. (ANI)
© 2007 ANI